Sunday, August 19, 2012

A note about my image usage

Pin It

Hi friends.  Hope you’re all doing well out there.  Im sorry I’ve been so absent from the blog lately and even from the facebook page but truth is I’ve just been so busy this summer that I havent figured out a way to work in that sit down to the computer time.  Im sure some of you fellow bloggers find yourself in the same position when the weather is good and the growing season is on. Smile 

I wanted to take a moment to let you all know that I am taking down my most popular post here on the blog, the one dealing with how I find the vintage images that I use to adorn my blog, as well as the subsequent post I wrote addressing the copyright issue.

Let me just say once again for anyone who is curious, that I use images from my vintage women’s magazine collection here as a means to share my collection.  As such, I watermark my images so that no one will take and reuse them, and I do not sell them or use them in any way that would make me a profit.  I do not make any money from this blog or sell any products using these images.  I am simply sharing my collection of vintage images with you the reader for your visual enjoyment.  I hope you enjoy them, and I hope you understand that I cannot share them with you to use in ways other than viewing them here.

I’m also not giving anyone any concrete advice on whether or not I am violating copyright by doing so.  I’ll be completely forward with you and tell you that I am not worried about it.  My conscience is ENTIRELY clear about use advertising images from the 1940s here for decorative purposes only and as I have said more than once, if anyone contacts me letting me know I am infringing upon their intellectual rights, I will certainly cease and desist using any images that offend.  And if any reader here feels like tracking down illustrators from the first half of the 20th century and ratting me out, by all means, use your time in such a fashion.  But Im not going to worry about it.  I have 135 readers here on blogger and there are many blogs MUCH more popular than mine, who DO make a profit and who DO sell their images, and I don’t see them worrying about copyright or being harassed about the issue, so Im not going to lose any sleep over it.

At the end of the day, is what I am doing illegal?  I honestly cant tell you because I have received conflicting information.  If you have any concerns, don’t do as I do.  But I ask that from here on out, people refrain from leaving me comments about my supposed violation of copyright(unless of course they are the owner of the images I use and find my display of them offensive).  Im a dinky little blogger in the giant blogosphere and I just assume that surely you folks have better things to do with your time.

God bless you all, hope your summer is going swell!

Pin It

8 comments:

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

It's so odd that you're getting comments from someone who thinks this is a problem! I'm sorry that you have to deal with someone like that! If what you're doing is illegal, then there are a whole lot of women who would be in trouble...women who are just trying to brighten eachother's day by talking about iced coffee, chalkboard paint, and vintage potholders!
Erica :)

Jann Olson said...

Nicole, if you ask me people have way too much time on their hands if they are worrying about something like that. Goodness, you won those magazines and the images were put in it publicly in the first place. I can Not believe people have been telling you that. So sorry hon because I love and adore your images! Summer has been so busy and I feel so behind for some reason. Hope all is well with you!
Hugs,
Jann

Jann Olson said...

I meant to say own not won, oops!

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

Thanks you for your sweet and supportive comments, ladies! I so appreciate it! :)

Nina L. Knox said...

Oh Nicole, I can't believe you're getting negative comments about your images. They are one of things that attracted me to your site. I love it! I love your images, your values, and all the things you write about. I'm so sorry someone is giving you such a hard time about something so insignificant. I usually find that jealousy plays a part in instances like this. Please keep true to yourself and your blog!

Angela said...

The bigger the attack, the bigger the blessing.In the spiritual realm someone is shaking in their 'boots' and just trying to bring confusion and fear to your life. Your blog is touching many women...you may have 135 followers, but I know there are more that are coming here and are reading and being touched....Blessings sweet sis..((hugs)) Will be praying for ya and for your blog to continue to shine and bring encouragement and hope to so many.

Anonymous said...

I love your Blog, and I am a fairly new subscriber to your email updates. It bothers me that some people are criticising you for your beautiful designs here. We all want to enjoy them, and we love this Blog.
Look at Pinterest, what happens there? Surely if someone has the time to complain about your Blog, they should have enough time to browse Pinterest. I've pinned items because I like them, and I haven't cared about copyright etc. etc.
I'm sure I'm not the only one doing that!!

Lauren said...

I just wanted to say that I love your vintage pictures. Keep up sharing them and ignore people who don't know what they are talking about!