Thursday, July 19, 2012

Walnut Basil Pesto Pasta with Sautéed Summer Veg

Pin It

 

IMG_2715

Wow, ladies, this housewife has been BUSY this past week and a half.  I have about a bajillion blog posts I’d like to do, but alas- time is a precious and limited resource and sit-down computer time is hard to come by right now.  I think even more than do my own blog posts I miss reading all of YOURS, and taking part in your fun blog carnivals, when I cant get to the computer.  But… everything in the Lord’s timing, right? 

IMG_2702  IMG_2701

It’s basil season and loads of fragrant fresh basil mean pesto in this house.  A couple of weeks ago I bought an obscene amount of basil at the market and came home and spent the entire afternoon making this fantastic Walnut Pesto in my food processor and freezing most of it for future use.  I plan to repeat that again soon so I can have my pesto addiction attended to over the winter months.

Good Housekeeping 1936-08

What could be a more fresh, seasonal pairing with fresh basil pesto than some sautéed (or better yet grilled if you have a barbQ!) summer veggies and spaghetti?  For dinner one night last week I couldn’t think of an answer to that question so this is what I came up with:

Walnut Basil Pesto Pasta with Sauteed Summer Veg

serves 3

1/2 cup Walnut Pesto (this recipe is fantastic, all I did was add a bit more EVOO than the original chef)

3 Servings spaghetti or other pasta

1 small vegetable marrow

1/2 red bell pepper

5 medium yellow cherry tomatoes

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

1. In a large pot, get your water going for your spaghetti.  Be sure to salt your water well (this not only speeds up the boiling process but also makes the pasta taste so much better).  If you salt and cover the pot your pasta should be ready just in time to add to the sautéed veg.

IMG_2704 

2. In the  meantime, cut your veg into nice big chunks (and of course it goes without saying that you could use zucchini, other bell peppers, red cherry tomatoes, other summer veg, etc).  Sautee the veg in olive oil over medium heat, stirring often, until tender but not overcooked.  No need to add any seasoning as the pesto will be added at the end and that is plenty of flavor!

IMG_2708  IMG_2709

3.  Just before you add the pasta to the pan, remove it from the heat and stir in the pesto.  Add the spaghetti and toss with tongues or a large spoon until pasta and veg are completely coated with the walnut-basily- goodness. 

IMG_2710

4. If you’ve timed it right, the pasta should be done al dente right as the veg is nice and ender. Instead of dumping it all in a strainer, use a slotted pasta spoon and scoop directly into the pan with the veg. This will all allow just a tiny bit of the pasta water to be transferred over and will allow the pesto to marry nicely with the food.

IMG_2713

5.  When serving a dish like this, I genuinely try to pull out the spaghetti first, and then situate some of he veg on top for a nicer presentation.  But in the end, the main point is to get it into your mouth, so whatever way works for you, enjoy!

IMG_2723 IMG_2727

IMG_2726

 

As you can see, this dish was kid- approved. Smile

Bon Appetite!

 

Proud to be linking up today with Foodie Friday with Diane Belch, and Saturday Link and Greet at Country Mamma Cooks, Saturday Show and Tell at Cheerios and Lattes, Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey Mom Whats for Dinner, Meatless Mondays at Veggie Mamma, Makin’ You Crave Monday at Mrs. Happy Homemaker, The Gathering Spot at Mamal Diane, Melt in Your Mouth Mondays at Make Ahead Meals, Scratch Cookin’ Tuesdays and Mrs Dull’s, Show Me What Ya Got at Not Just a Housewife, Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed With Grace, Traditional Tuesdays at Delicious Obsessions,Homemaking Link-Up at Raising Homemakers, Healthy 2day Wednesdays at Day2Day Joys, Whats Cooking Wednesdays at Kings Court IV, Whole Food Wednesdays at This Chick Cooks, Works For Me Wednesdays at We Are That Family, Full Plate Thursdays at Miz Helen’s, Share Your Cup Thursdays at Jann Olson’s.

Pin It

12 comments:

Kelly Scott said...

Mmm...this looks good! I have a ton of basil in two containers and walnuts. Guess what I'm doing this afternoon? Thanks for taking the time to share this. Every blessing, Kelly

Carole said...

Fantastic pics. I found this via Simple Living with Diane Balch. I linked in a spicy and crunchy coleslaw. Cheers.

Diane Balch said...

There is so much talk about how healthy walnuts are for you. This is a great recipe to make sure you get a good dose. Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

Sarah @ Natures Nurture said...

This. Looks. Amazing! Can't wait to try this out with our basil in the garden!

By the way, I'm featuring you on my blog in the morning, so come check it out!

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

Just wanted to thank you all for your sweet and encouraging comments! Hope you have a chance to make it, its delish!

Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z said...

This is my first summer trying pesto and we've been enjoying it is so many ways. I posted a recipe this week for pesto stuffed mushrooms that were delicious/ Love your idea to use it over summer veggies.

Tanya-Lemonsforlulu.com said...

Truth be told, I could simply eat the pesto straight from the jar! Wow! I love fresh pesto! I like the veggie pasta too!

Anonymous said...

Hi, just stumbled across your blog for the first time and it looks fun (if you're wondering, I was googling for something useful to do with all the peach pits and skins I have leftover after canning several pints of peach-ginger jam). I was wondering if you've ever tried pesto from garlic scapes? I did it for the first time this year and it was delicious! I will definitely be bookmarking this site. Thanks for all your hard work!

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

Hi, I'm dropping by via Meatless Mondays. I love your basil pesto. I can imagine just how beautifully fragrant it is and how well it goes with the vegetables.

Tiffany @ DontWastetheCrumbs said...

Looks delicious! I have a pasta dish that uses zucchini, squash and tomatoes, but I hadn't thought of adding pesto. I just may have to do that next month! Thanks for the idea (and great photo!).

Cheerios and Lattes said...

This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you'll join us again this week with some more great ideas!
-Mackenzie
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

(Bountiful Treasures) Chris said...

Love the recipe. Your posts are great! Visit me http://bountifultreasures.blogspot.com/