Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Pin It IMG_2660
Ladies, are you still using that prepackaged taco seasoning that you buy at the grocery store for sometimes as much as TWO DOLLARS a package?  Oh my dear you must stop that immediately.  I discovered an easy, delicious, cheap, and nutritious (meaning, not filled with the garbage in the packaged stuff) recipe for taco seasoning a few years ago and I’ve never looked back.


Taco Seasoning Mix
good for one pound of ground beef, chicken, or beans
2 1/2 t chili powder
2 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp cumin
1/2 t kosher salt
1/2 t granulated garlic
1/3 t cinnamon
1/4 t cayenne (or to taste if you like it hotter)
Western Romances 1934-07
I, of course, look just like this saucy senorita each time I make tacos.  Don’t you?

If the cinnamon catches any of you by surprise don’t let it scare you off; cinnamon is used quite liberally in authentic Mexican cooking and it gives the taco meat a fabulous flavor, very subtle but it adds a wonderful dimension.

IMG_2661 - Copy
Simply combine these ingredients in a small bowl, stir well, and use as you would a package of store-bought taco seasoning, adding once you have browned your meat in the frying pan.  Be sure to add a cup of water for each pound of ground beef and allow it to simmer on low for 1/2 hour before serving.

Buen Provecho!

Proud to be linking up today with Tiny Tip Tuesdays at Nature’s Nurture, Scratch Cookin’ Tuesdays and Mrs Dull’s, Show Me What Ya Got at Not Just a Housewife, Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed With Grace, Traditional Tuesdays at Delicious Obsessions,Homemaking Link-Up at Raising Homemakers, Healthy 2day Wednesdays at Day2Day Joys, Whats Cooking Wednesdays at Kings Court IV, Whole Food Wednesdays at This Chick Cooks, Works For Me Wednesdays at We Are That Family, Full Plate Thursdays at Miz Helen’s, Foodie Friday with Diane Belch, and Saturday Link and Greet at Country Mamma Cooks, Saturday Show and Tell at Cheerios and Lattes. Pin It

16 comments:

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

GREAT post. We use homemade too -- no hidden carbs (commerical packets contain cornstarch). I plan to try your formula -- cinnamon sounds like a nice, warm surprise :)

Happy 4th!

Blessings!
Gail

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

Ah yes- they do hide weird stuff in those packages, eh?? I think I saw one onetime with MSG in it- for taco seasoning! Yikes! Have a good 4th, too, Gail!

Stephanie Carlson said...

Great seasoning recipe! I love the addition of cinnamon in the seasoning. Thank you for sharing.

Stephanie Carlson said...

Great seasoning recipe! I love the addition of cinnamon in the seasoning. Thank you for sharing.

Danavee said...

Ohhhhh this sounds easy and inexpensive! Awesome idea!

Jode said...

Thanks for the recipe...i do something similar but never thought of adding cinnamon and shall give it a go!
So many odd thing sin that packet one...not sure how they fit it all in!!

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

Thanks for all the encouraging comments, friends!

mary_smith said...

YUM! I hate those packages, especially with MSG.
Would you share this at the Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop?
http://www.deborahjeansdandelionhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/farmgirl-friday-blog-hop-65.html

Miz Helen said...

I just love making my own seasoning mixes and your Taco Season looks awesome. I will give it a try. Hope you are having a great holiday week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Carole said...

Thanks for this idea.

I found this via Simple Living with Diane Balch. I linked in a retro steak dish. Have a super week.

Sarah @ Natures Nurture said...

I've never bought the taco seasoning packets, always just added different spices to suit our tastes, but have been meaning to start getting into making our own spice mixes to keep on hand. This one looks very easy and I actually have all the spices on hand! Thanks for linking up at Tiny Tip Tuesday, Nicole. I'm pinning this one :)

Diane Balch said...

Terrrific idea. I hate the store bought, it's just filled with all kinds of chemicals.

mary_smith said...

Hi Nicole!!! I've nominated you for The Liebster Blog Award!
Stop by and check it out!

http://back2basichealth.blogspot.com/2012/07/liebster-blog-award.html

Sunshine Dayz said...

Looks great! My only question is if the "t" stands for tablespoon. Just want a clarification before trying this.

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

Hi Sunshine sorry that is a good question- no small t stands for teaspoon. which I suppose is confusing because I wrote "tsp" for one of the ingredients. But it is tsp for all of them, thanks for asking!

Mackenzie said...

I'm glad you shared this, I hate how expensive those packages are in the store. Thank you for sharing at Saturday Show and Tell! I hope you'll be back this week.
-Mackenzie
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com