Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Vintage Red Cake Carrier and Antique Books

Pin It Picture 113
Hey ladies!  It’s laundry day around here but Im stopping in for a quit post anyway.  I’ve been sitting on these super cute thrift store finds I bought on vacation weeks ago and havent carved out the time to share them with you.  So this is going to be a super simple post, mostly photos, but hope you enjoy!

Picture 039
 
So here’s the deal.  I’ve been wanting to buy a cake carrier for a while now but didnt want to cough up the bucks for a tupperware piece.  On vacation I went into this cute little antique store and found this doll for five dollars.  Im Sure its not worth much, its just an old metal cake carrier with a good bit of wear and tear on it, but if you're a vintage gal like me you love it, right?
Picture 038  
Look at the red flowers, so sweet!
Picture 041
And it still totally works- I cant wait to bake a cake and take it somewhere in style!
Picture 042
My next groovy vintage finds I wanted to show you were two old books I got for a S-O-N-G (a dollar a piece…. this poor small town Salvation Army didnt know how to price things… I felt so bad a I put a few extra dollars in the donation box).  The first is a 1927 edition of Blackie’s Little Ones Annual (so rare I’ve had a hard time finding the exact edition online. i’ve found other things by this publisher but have yet to find this exact book), in admittedly rough shape but still totally darling and with all the beautiful color illustrations in tact and ready to be harvested to  use on this blog.  Look how cute!
   Picture 048
Picture 045
Picture 047
You can believe you’ll be seeing more of these beautiful illustrations around the  blog very soon!

Picture 044
The next treasure was the 1934 edition of the popular Jewish American cookbook entitled The Settlement Cook Book. 
Picture 049
Originally published in 1903, the 1934 edition was incredibly popular with Jewish and Gentile Americans alike, and this copy I purchased (did I mention for a DOLLAR) is in great shape and is selling on ebay for $150.  Not that I plan to sell it, mind you… anything that say “A Way to a Man’s Heart” at the top and is this kitschy cool has a permanent home on my shelf.
Picture 050
The book is largely text, no food photos, but there are some adorable illustrations that decorate the beginning of each chapter.
Picture 052
Picture 051
Well, ladies, hope you enjoyed my little thrifty treasures today.  Hope to see more of you over at Sue Loves Cherries for Rednesday, and Colorado Lady for Vintage Thingies Thursdays, as well as Mrs. Olson’s for Share Your Cup Thursdays.
Happy Thrifting!
Pin It

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your finds! Thanks for sharing today.

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

What great finds! I love the cake carrier and have a bread box that is a similar pattern -- very fun. Old books are something I am a huge sucker for -- you found a couoke treasures! Enjoy :)

Blessings!
Gail

theoldmilkcan said...

Oh wow! Brilliant finds....unfortunately every about these parts is very savvy about second hand stuff (I have been told SA is the antique capital of Australia) so we have very few op shops and lots of antique stores...I have found a few good things though.

Jessie Lou said...

Oh I love that cake carrier! I've been wanting one myself, just have to keep looking! And those books are darling, I especially love the fact that the cookbook says "The Way to a Man's Heart" ;) aint that the truth!

Adios,
Jessie Lou

The Seasonal Family said...

I'd be interested to read that chapter on pie crusts! Does it have lots of good tips?

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

Thanks, ladies! Kristin- I am not sure to be totally honest, I havent had a chance to reawlly read the chapter yet. You are more than welcome to read it next time you're over.. youd probably know better than I would if they are great tips! :)

LV said...

A very nice presentation of your finds.

Laura @ Laura Williams Musings said...

Great finds! I love the cake carrier!

I love going to thrift stores and antique stores. I love finding household items, etc. that I can use. They last longer than the junk in the big box store from overseas plus they were made in the USA.

The Farmer's Daughter said...

Great thrifty finds! The books caught my eye. I love old books, especially from that time period. Thanks for letting us get a glimpse of them!

Erika said...

Love thrifty finds and this cake carrier is adorable!

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Love all of your vintage finds, so charming!

Happy VTT!

craftyles said...

I love the cake carrier-great find. I can't believe you snatched those books for a dollar a piece.Good job!

Walking on Sunshine... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Walking on Sunshine... said...

Sorry, spelling mistake! So glad to find you again! Hope you're having a nice day. Love your finds!

Jann Olson said...

Oh Nicole, I think you found wonderful treasures. I love the cake carrier. Of course, the fact that it has cute red had nothing to do with it. lol! I have a cute one that my cousin gave me. It was her mothers, my Aunt Violas and she knew I would love it. The books are precious and the illustrations are fab. You are the illustration queen. Your cute laundry pic was sweet also. Thanks for sharing with my party!
Hugs,
Jann