Monday, June 25, 2012

Use Naan Bread for Personal Pizzas (with recipe)

Pin It Picture 116
Who doesn’t love Pizza?  No one in this house, that’s for sure.  We are all fans but as time goes buy I just become choosier and pickier about pizza and I have to be honest and say that none of the commercial frozen pizzas or ready-made pizza crusts are to my liking.  There are a few take-out places I like OK, but there is just nothing as good as a homemade pizza.

Picture 236
But can I be honest here?  Im not one to make my own pizza crust.  I did years ago when we were first married and I know that I need to get back into it, but Ive found a fabulous little “cheat” for the crust that I wanted to share with you today: Naan Bread.
Picture 099
Some of you may not be familiar with Naan, which is an Indian flatbread.  Traditionally you could only get Naan in Indian homes and restaurants, because it is baked in a special tandoori oven and thus has not often been commercially available.  This is changing, however, and you can usually find Naan in your grocery store.  You can even get them in whole-wheat!  If you’re not sure, ask your grocer- its worth checking out.  Mind you theres NOTHING like truly fresh, out of the oven Naan you get an your local Indian eatery, but the packaged stuff, if treated properly, can be a decent replacement for home cooking.
Picture 106
Using Naan for individual pizzas is super easy.  Just purchase a package, make sure the are thawed if you have put them in the freezer as I do when they go on sale, and treat them like a pizza crust. 
Picture 105
I highly recommend using a pizza stone when baking any sort of pizza crust, but I especially urge you to use one when using Naan.  I tried to use a regular baking sheet once recently and the naan got over-cooked.  The pizza stone, however, allows the pizza toppings to bake up beautifully and still keep the Naan soft and pliable as a good pizza crust should be.  Be sure to oil your stone and then sprinkle it with some drops of water before adding the naan- this helps keep the crust moist while baking.  Bake your pizza at 450 on the second rack from the top for about 15 minutes or until the toppings are melted and bubbly.
Picture 110
The other great thing about using Naan instead of one large pizza crust is you can individualize.  Recently I made a Tandoori Chicken Pizza for myself (see the link for the recipe, it was delish!), and a more traditional pepperoni for the hubs and little Bird.  Everyone was happy!
Picture 113
Hope you have a chance to put this tip to good use soon. 
Bon Appetite!
Proud to be linking up today with Tiny Tip Tuesdays at Nature’s Nurture and Works for Me Wendesdays over at We are That Family!
Pin It

6 comments:

The Glamorous Housewife said...

I never thought of using Naan bread for pizza before! Such a great idea.

Thanks doll,
The Glamorous Housewife

The Seasonal Family said...

One of the foods I miss most is naan. Your pizzas look sooo good. Mmm... I'll have to just drool over the pictures.

theoldmilkcan said...

Oh we love making Pizza as a family, right from scratch...it becomes this huge activity and flour turns up in the oddest of places for days afterwards but it is well worth it :)

Jode said...

We love making pizza here too although i am still trying to get my twins to touch it!
Nothing like the smell of it baking is there? Your photo looks so nice and i really want a piece right now!!!
Love your space here and off to become your newest follower x

Sarah @ Natures Nurture said...

Mmm, we LOVE Indian food here, so naan is always on the menu, but never thought to use it as pizza crust! Love this idea, thanks so much for sharing at Tiny Tip Tuesday! :)

Nat D. said...

I LOVE naan! It would make AMAZING pizza! What a great idea. Love all of your retro housewife pics. :)