Saturday, June 2, 2012

Homemade Peanut Butter Frosting

Pin It Picture 035
My parents came to visit this past week and I wanted to make some special treats for their visit.   I do not usually make a lot of baked goods because they are my favourite food to eat and thus i have a very hard time eating them in that “moderation” that the Canada Food Guide is always going on about, so I tend to keep them out of the house.  But my parent visiting was certainly a worthy exception.
Picture 005

My mom wanted a white cake with blackberry filling and butter cream frosting (the recipe for which Ill be sharing soon) to celebrate her May birthday, but I knew that something chocolatey would be more up my dad’s alley. Brownies will usually do the trick, but I wanted to gussy them up a little bit.  Peanut butter frosting seemed the thing to do.  I’d never made it before but figured if you mixed up the right ingredients it couldnt be too tough.  This is what I came up with:
Peanut Butter Frosting
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter (softened but not melted)
about 2 cups confectioners (10x) sugar
about 1/3 cup of cream
Picture 031
Ill be honest with you, ladies, these amounts are approximate because Im really a “just do it” sort of cook- just keep adding until its right.  And I encourage you to have a bit of courage and do more of this kind of cooking yourself.  I often hear from friends that they MUST have an exact recipe to feel confident to try something.  Dont feel that way…. you can really start to feel your way around a recipe if you just let yourself have a little confidence with the ingredients, your taste buds, and your abilities.
Picture 030 
Picture 032
I used all natural chunky peanut butter, and whipped it up with my softened butter.  Then I added the confectioners sugar in 1/2 cup amounts.  Meanwhile, I added splashes of cream as needed to keep it nice and moist.  It took no time at all and absolutely, insanely delicious when it was done.  It was hard for me not to just eat it right out of the bowl!
Picture 033
The truth is the amounts are going to vary depending on how stiff or malleable you want the frosting.  If you’re looking for something to spread on a layer cake, you’ll likely need to add more cream to make it softer.  I wanted a nice thick, stiffer frosting for my brownies.  Also, youll need to taste it for sweetness.  I only used about two cups (if that) of confectioners sugar and that was plenty sweet for me.  But you might find you want it sweeter.  Just add more sugar and then a bit more cream or milk to make up for it texture-wise.
 Picture 001 Picture 002
If adding to brownies like me, bake them and allow them to cool completely.  Carefully cut them into squares and remove from pan.  Put a nice BIG glob of the frosting gently onto the brownie (you dont want to break it) and gently smooth it out, removing excess as needed.  Its better to add a big glob and take some off than to add just a little bit at a time, which will make a mess tearing up your brownie.
Picture 006
For an extra sweet touch, I added some Reeses’ minis to the top.  Yumm-O, and Dad approved!
Happy Baking, Ladies!

I am so honored to be linking up with Cheerios and Lattes for Saturday Show and Tell and Miz Helen's Country Cottage for  Full Plate Thursday!
Pin It

9 comments:

Andi said...

What a lovely recipe! Great food pictures. I love to cook also, and try to share the recipes, but since I'm impatient when it comes to pictures, and not at all talented, I fear my readers never truly get how lovely some of the recipes are. I will definitely be making this frosting.

Jann Olson said...

I am not a chocolate lover, but the peanut butter on these looks YUM-O! I must give it a whirl sometime. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Jann

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

Thanks so much, Andi and Jann! It really is absolutely delicious and could be used on so many things. And so EASY. :) Blessings!

Lauren said...

These look delicious! Peanut butter frosting is amazing!

Jessie Lou said...

My mother and myself cook as you do, just adding a bunch of ingredients in and knowing that the outcome will be amazing! It's a risk sometimes but hey, live with a little bit of danger and adventure in your life right? ;)

This recipe reminds me of one that Mom used to make when we were growing up, it was a peanut butter cake...I will have to dig up the recipe and post it if I can find it. I really miss it! Thank you for posting this and sparking my memory!

Adios,
Jessie Lou

Sarah @ Natures Nurture said...

OMG, I think I could eat this with a spoon! I'm so not as disciplined as you - I bake all the time LOL :) I'm so making this soon. Thanks for sharing!

The Old-Fashioned Housewife said...

God bless all you ladies and your sweet comments! This was a total hit with everyone who ate it. I was able to freeze half of the batch for next time I bake (which, hopefully for my hips, wont be for a while. :) ).

Pat said...

Peanut butter is the magic word. Love to try this.
Thank you for sharing.

Cheerios and Lattes said...

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe on Saturday Show and Tell. Those brownies look delish! I hope you'll be back this week to share some more goodies like this.
-Mackenzie
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com